Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Trouble with Rolls

This is for my writing class, so hello to all my fellow writers! To you who follow my blog, I hope you enjoy this rather funny, and at the time sad, story!

I decided to write about "food opening up a memory." So, here goes!

"Warm rolls" make me think of one particular experience I have had with these particular rolls. First of all, you have to know that these rolls take time; the whole day in fact. They are also worth every second! These rolls are also always made by my dad and me. It's a tradition.
Well, this story took place about four months ago. Dad and I started the rolls bright and early, as usual, but then he and Mom left for Asheville for the day. I felt pretty confident about doing the rolls by myself. After all, I'd been doing them with Dad for seven years! What could possible happen?
The trouble started when I had to transfer the rolls from the pans on which they had been rising, to the cornmeal-covered pans for baking. I discovered that we were out of cornmeal! So I called Dad, and asked him if semolina would work. He said it would, so I hung up, and went and covered the pans with semolina.
Next crisis: As I flipped the rolls to the other pans, they started losing their puffiness. I called Dad again and explained the situation. He said that always happens, so I went back to flipping the rolls and managed to do it without further trouble.
The next incident came after the rolls were in the oven. The rolls are sprayed with water every three minutes to form a crusty edge, but every time I sprayed them, the smoke alarm would go off, and as if that wasn't enough, the back burners on the stove started smoking! So guess what I did? I called Dad, in tears. He told me how to turn the smoke alarm off, and unfortuantely for both of us, it did not work. Then, the rolls weren't done at the usual time. I had to put an extra fifteen or twenty minutes on them!
Eventually, the rolls were done,and Mom and Dad got home. They said I'd done a great job. I thought I'd done okay. I mean, the rolls were baked and looked really good, and the house was still standing! However, I did not know that semolina tastes sweet, and the rolls were supposed to be savory! So they didn't even taste like they were supposed too!
So far, that is the most prominent memory with these rolls, and I hope to have nicer memories soon!

No comments: