Monday, July 13, 2009

Book Reviews: "Born Again" & "Ryan White: My Own Story"

Having read my required reading for this summer (A Separate Peace by John Knowles), I have now moved on to the rest of the list. Here are my reviews of the two books I have enjoyed the most so far:
  • Born Again by Charles "Chuck" Colson. This book is an interesting narrative tale told by Chuck Colson, the "hatchet man" for former President Nixon. It starts out by showing him before his conversion to Christ. He was a man who would do anything (and I do mean anything) to help his president. But then a friend of his gave him a book, Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. After reading it, Colson completely surrendered his life to God, and then he discovered how many Christians there were in the Capitol! Some of his political enemies, men Colson had embarrassed, shamed, and hurt, became wonderful brothers in Christ. (That's all for this review, as I haven't yet finished the book. I'll give a more complete review later.)
  • Ryan White: My Own Story by Ryan White. This is a touching story of a boy who has suffered all his life from hemophilia, a disease that makes one bleed at even the slightest fall or injury. At thirteen, he contracted AIDS from a contaiminated blood transfusion. After he got AIDS, everyone except a few turned against him. His school, his community, even his church, wanted nothing to do with him. I would recommend this book as an inspiring read. Written in the first person, Ryan White: My Own Story is well worth the time.

All for now! I'll be reading more books, so I'll post more reviews at a later time! Have a great week.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Those both sound like good books! Have you finished the Ryan White one yet? And let us know when you finish the first one...

Livvy said...

I have finished Ryan White. It was great! I will!

Katherine said...

Ok! Thanks for letting me know!

Livvy said...

You're welcome!