Friday, July 17, 2009

Training!

Bono has a fear of loud noises, mainly fireworks and thunderstorms. After spending two nights comforting Bono, one of them at 2:00 a.m., my family and I were ready to try anything! Dad suggested getting out Bono's old crate, but I was dubious. Bono has bad crate memories, since he used to be destructive and was therefore always crated when we were out. But we got it out anyway, figuring it was worth a try. However, I was pleasantly surprised! Bono is really fine with it. He's gone in all the way and laid down a few times, and half-way in even more! I am going through lots of treats because every time I go in my room, I tell Bono "Crate!" and toss a treat in the crate. It's working great!



10 comments:

Katherine said...

You are lucky that your dog is even allowed in your house... mine isn't. :( But I will try that crate thing because she WILL NOT go in it, but she needs to learn to... Hope your training goes well!

Livvy said...

One thing to do is DO NOT shut the crate door at first. The dog has to get used to being somewhat confined, rather than totally confined all at once. Hope yours does too!

Katherine said...

Oh, ok! I actually did think somewhat along those lines already... I just brought her crate out from outside of the fence and put it in a spot she goes a lot. AND I left the door open. I only have 10 real dog treats left and since the real ones are kind of expensive we are going to get some animal crackers sometime soon hopefully. Also, her blanket is in the wash right now and then I will put it in her crate. p.s. i am also going to... try to teach her how to "walk" which is basically standing on her hind legs when I tell her to

Livvy said...

That's smart! An intelligent dog like Daisy should catch onto "walking" pretty easily. :)

Annie said...

How is Bono's training going? I bet he'll miss you when you leave for vacation!!

Katie said...

He looks so cute in there! Now he can sympathize with Edith.

Livvy said...

Thanks for commenting, friends!

For Annie: It's going well. The other night I just told him to "lay down" and he went in the crate of his own accord and stayed there until I left the room! I'm sure he will too. When do you leave?

For Katie: Thanks; he does! How's Edy doing?

Katie said...

Edy's good. I'm trying to teach her how to walk on her hind legs.

Annie said...

We were going to leave on Tuesday, but we changed our leaving day to Wednesday because if all the things we still have to get done! You leave on Wednesday, also, right?? I'm glad that Bono is overcoming his fear of his crate : ) It's nice that he has a place in your room now!

Livvy said...

For Arwen: I'm glad! She should be good at anything like that!

For Annie: We do!! How long will you be gone? Thanks; me too!