Friday, November 20, 2009

Complines I

Lately, before I drift off to sleep, I've been reading a compline to myself. Complines are prayers for each day, (I believe) from the earlier centuries, named for the priests who wrote them.I will post one each day for 7 days; I hope you enjoy them!

Friday -- The Boisil Compline
*O Lord, you will keep us safe,
and protect us forever.
*I am placing my soul and my body
in Thy safe keeping this night, O God,
in Thy safe keeping, O Jesus Christ,
in Thy safe keeping, O Spirit of perfect truth.
The Three who would defend my cause
be keeping me this night from harm.
*I call on You, O God,
for You will answer me;
give ear to me and my prayer.
*Show the wonder of Your great love,
Who who save by Your right hand
those who take refuge in Your from their foes.
*Keep me as the apple of Your eye;
hide me in the shadow of Your wings.
*Lighten my darkness, Lord.
Let the light of Your presence
dispel the shadows of night.
*Christ with me sleeping,
Christ with me waking,
Christ with me watching,
each day and each night.
*Save us, Lord, while we are awake,
guard us while we are asleep;
that, awake, we may watch with Christ,
and, asleep, may rest in his peace.
*God with me protecting,
the Lord with me direscting,
the Spirit with me strengthening
for ever and for evermore.
*In the name of the Father precious,
and of the Spirit of healing balm.
In the name of the Lord Jesus,
I lay me down to rest.
*The peace of all peace
be mine this night
in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.
While I am reading them alone, during a quiet time, you can read it with family members, alternating phrases and reading the bolded phrases together.

No comments: